Lew Wallace Elementary School is a community that is made up of students, teachers, parents, and other adults who work with the school. For a community to function smoothly, everyone needs to take care of each other and to treat each other with kindness and respect at all times. When people choose not to do this, they need to be held responsible for their actions. These school rules are intended to help students and parents understand what the expectations are for behavior. Teachers may have additional rules that are specific to situations in their classrooms.
Parents can support a positive school climate by reviewing the school rules with their children periodically during the year. It is very important that each parent and child have a clear understanding of the rules for appropriate behavior and of the consequences that will follow if a child chooses to break the rules. Students who choose to follow the rules can expect to earn these and other positive rewards.
- Self-respect for helping to create the most positive atmosphere for learning
- Verbal praise
- Material rewards: Green Tickets which can be redeemed for a special reward from the office. Once a month students may be selected for a special lunch with the principal.
- Recognition: certificates, awards, calls or notes to parents, recognition from the principal
- S.T.A.R. Card: Written recognition given by members of the LWES community and shared during the morning announcements
- And the best education we can give your children
Students who choose not to follow the school rules or who are disrespectful to any adult will be issued a discipline notice. The discipline notice will go home with the students so that it can be shared with their parents or guardians. We ask parents and guardians to discuss appropriate behavior with their child before signing it. The next day, the child needs to return the signed notice to the office. Initially, they will miss their lunch recess in a supervised location where they can reflect on their actions. The consequences for additional discipline notices are outlined on the discipline notice forms.
In the past, the majority of students who have earned a discipline notice received only one, two at most.
The Lew Wallace Discipline Plan is not intended to humiliate, be unfair to or disrespect students.
The goal is to hold students accountable for their learning and behavior.